Friday, August 30, 2013

Procedure for Vocal Cord Damage

My boyfriend had a tracheostomy at the age of 5 or so. He is now 41 and has had a low, raspy voice since recovering from that procedure years ago. I've heard of Radiesse Voice and was wondering if this type of procedure would be viable for vocal cord damage due to this type of situation. He is uninsured and I do not want to waste money to tell us that he is not a candidate. If he is a possible candidate, we would spend the money to go see an ENT.

Barbara Messing MA CCC-SLP, BRS-S replies...

Thank you for submitting your question to our web forum.  

I understand your concerns. Radiesse is an injectable material that is often use to augment the vocal folds. It is most often used in patients who have vocal fold paralysis or a thinning or aging vocal fold resulting in a reduced ability to achieve closure of the vocal folds during voicing. In these situations Radiesse or another material may improve the ability of the vocal folds to close / meet when voicing resulting in improved vocal quality. There are other situations when vocal fold injections would also benefit the patient. To answer your question regarding your boyfriends vocal problems, it is difficult to know the underlying reason for his low, raspy voice without actually imaging them in motion through endoscopy. So he would need to see an ENT or laryngologist to determine if he would benefit from a vocal fold injection. Since he is having voice problems it is warranted for him to have an ENT evaluate him and make recommendations that would be appropriate to his vocal function.  

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment