Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Throat Closing Up

I've been sick with sinus infections, ear infections, bronchitis. I've taken antibiotics repeatedly and they don't help. My throat feels like its closing up, hard to swallow and my throat is beginning to hurt all the time. I'm sweating and freezing all the time. I'm on Keppra, Xanax, Ambien and Seoquel. I've been on them a long time. Could it be the medications? I've had radiation before, could this weaken my immune system? Going back to my doctor again. Can these symptoms be cancer?

Barbara P. Messing, M.A., CCC-SLP, BRS-S replies...

I am glad to hear that you are returning to your physician. The persistence of your symptoms and complaints warrant medical intervention. Your physician can also evaluate your medications to let you know what side effects to expect.  

Regarding your complaint of feeling like your throat is closing up and it's hard to swallow, you should be seen by an ENT, Otolaryngologist and a Speech Pathologist who will evaluate your swallow function as well as the sensation of constriction in your throat. Without actually visualizing your throat it is impossible to know the reason for these symptoms. If you have been coughing a lot from your bronchitis this certainly can cause throat soreness but I still recommend you seek evaluation. I wouldn't jump to the thought of cancer. Having these symptoms evaluated by a medical team will ease your mind and concerns.


Kind regards,

Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment