Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Cancer of the Neck

I am from Greece. My father is 59 years old and has cancer in the neck. We have already had surgery and have removed one voice string with laser. After 2 years he suffered edema which did not figure it out from the beginning and created fistula. The doctors here did the surgery and tracheotomy. Argue that the fistula has not recurred and may make laryngectomy and that until the end of life will be fed by hoses from the stomach. Told us to do chemotherapy and that the hole in the neck that has not be closed (the neck pipe has to breathe). Foul is a psychological condition in 2 months lost 67 pounds. I want to do everything possible to be able to eat it again and drink water.

I would appreciate if I send you an e-mail with the diagnosis to tell me what to do. 

Barbara P. Messing, M.A., CCC-SLP, BRS-S replies...

I appreciate the concern you have for your father and his difficulties related to laryngeal cancer. I cannot provide specific medical advice to you. I will say that if he has persistent disease and his physicians are recommending a total laryngectomy, gastrostrostomy tube placement for nutrition & hydration that it is a surgical option for you to consider. If you and your father are unsure of the surgical option and wish to consider other options you can seek a second opinion. The physician should have all records and imaging available for the consultation. They may request other testing or imaging. You have to balance the time delay in waiting so I would not delay in setting up a consultation or discussing your concerns with his current surgeon.  

Kind regards
Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment